Designer Insight

We have decided that it is time to take a closer look at some of our featured designers and discovery what influences their work. As our first showcase designer of the month, we are pleased to introduce James Brown. 

James Brown Prints

Brown's collection of prints are bold, sophisticated and intellectually inquisitive. We love the way that he manages to combine visual information with well considered pattern & colour. So here is what we found out....

W&S: What training have you had to get where you are now? 
James: I trained as a printed textile designer so have a background in designing and printing on fabric as opposed to paper. Six years ago  I made the jump from the clothing industry & re-launched myself as an illustrator. I started producing prints as a side line and people liked them which encouraged me to do more & it snowballed from there.  

W&S: What inspires you & influences your designs?
 James: The process of printmaking is a huge influence, even if I am designing an illustration that will be produced digitally I still design as if it will be a two or three colour print. The limitations force me to think! 

W&S: How would you describe your style of work? 
James: I hope people have a feeling of the familiar when looking at my work. I would also like to think that it made people smile.

W&S: What advice would you give to someone who was about to embark on a creative career?     
James: I would tell them to do everything and see everything (within reason!) Say yes to everything, as you never know where one thing my lead. Inevitably some good always comes out of something that you feel is non beneficial at the time. 

W&S: Finally, where do you see yourself in 5 years time? 
James: I hope that I am still able to make a living out of what I love doing. I don't have five year plans, I'm not that organised! 

Tie The Knot Print

To view our range of James Brown prints click here.




                                     


0 comments:

ShareThis

 
Follow on Bloglovin